Graduate Chartered Town Planner
The job has expired.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
As one of the fastest-growing cities in the UK, Milton Keynes is a fantastic place to develop your planning career. As a Graduate Chartered Town Planner within the Planning Academy, you will have the opportunity to gain exposure to working in different parts of Planning and Placemaking, including Development Management, Policy, Enforcement, Conservation, and Urban Design.
In addition to gaining valuable experience to fast-track your career in planning, you will be supported to undertake a RTPI accredited postgraduate degree followed by an End- point assessment (EPA) that leads to becoming a Chartered Town Planner with MRTPI status. These credentials are the gold standard in Planning that will enable you to move into a range of planning positions.
This intensive programme will lead to you having an understanding in how the planning system works and the crucial role it has in delivering physical, social and economic growth locally and nationally. Supported by mentors and teams, you will have a tailored development programme alongside the apprenticeship degree to maximise your success into becoming a well-rounded planning professional.
No day will be the same and providing you are keen to learn, the breadth of experience you will gain alongside your fully funded part-time masters degree will develop you into a well-rounded Chartered Town Planner with a skills set that is in demand.
* SALARY: (Year 1) £25,022, (Year 2) £30,383 and (Year 3) £33,958
Find out more about the Planning Academy here: https://www.mkcounciljobs.org.uk/planningacademy
- Assist teams across Planning and Placemaking on a rotational basis, gaining a wide range of experience and expertise to enhance learning while completing the course.
- Complete the fully-funded course to gain MSc in Planning and MRTPI status to become an accredited Charted Town Planner.
- Work and liaise with colleagues from across the Council including external organisations, consultants, Councillors, and Parish Councils.
- Visit different sites to carry out project work.
- Carrying out admin duties (Answering telephones, assessing planning applications and general admin duties)
- A first or upper second-class honours degree (or equivalent) in any subject OR a lower second-class honours degree where relevant planning and development experience can be demonstrated.
- English and Maths qualifications at Level 2 equivalent to GCSE A*-C or 9-4.
- Someone with a genuine interest to work in Planning; including a desire to learn about the different planning functions and contribute to ongoing improvements and learning within the teams.
- Good IT and administrative skills. Knowledge of Microsoft packages (Word, Excel)
- Inquisitive and able to learn quickly within a fast-paced environment.
- Be confident to build effective working relationships .
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Able to work individually and as part of a team.
You must NOT have a Membership to the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) and/or hold a post graduate qualification accredited by the RTPI.
Please note: If you do not have certificated English and Maths qualifications at Level 2 (equivalent to GCSE A*-C or 9-4), this will need to be completed within the Apprenticeship.
About The Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.